Frequently Asked Questions
What is Title I?
Title I refers to federal funding that our school receives under the Elementary and Secondary School Act (ESEA).
Why is Altruria Elementary a Title I school?
A school’s Title I eligibility is solely determined by the percentage of students in the school who qualify for free or reduced lunch. When 40% or more of a school’s student population qualify for free or reduced lunch, the school is eligible to receive Title I funding.
How can the school spend Title I money?
The money can only be spent with input from stakeholders. Parent, teacher and community input is extremely important when planning the budget. Title I money may be spent in five categories:
1. Supplemental Educational Materials
2. Technology Equipment
3. Additional Staff
4. Parental Involvement and Training
5. Professional Development for Teachers
How can parents get involved?
1. Read the school newsletter for important dates.
2. Volunteer through our PTA to help with events throughout the school year.
3. Complete parent surveys when they are sent home.
4. Be on the lookout for information that is sent home.
If you have any questions or comments regarding our Title I program, please contact Joan Gatewood, Instructional Facilitator. Joan’s email is firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call the school at 373-2600.